– No not really, most things are available there, even cheaper, I replied
– But you know, sometimes, there are for example, diamonds you could take for 10-20 thousand which could earn more money in your country.
– But I can only import £500 worth of good to the uk without paying tax, actually £390 – I checked on the customs and excise website.
– I’m not talking about the UK, I’m talking about Scotland, I’d already told him where I was from.
– It’s the same country, I told him – As much as I hate to admit it.
– But you can import as much as you like to the UK as you want on a tourist visa, he went on.
– No you cant, you have to pay tax or your breaking the law, I was loving this now.
– Excuse me but I know the rules better than you. He said – obviously not!
– I’m a UK national that’s travelled many times outside the EU, why wouldn’t I know what I’m talking about.
– Look, are you interested in making some money
At this point andrea buts in and says lets get the bill. I just want to keep hearing this guy talk shit but I can tell It’s time to go so I ask for the bill. It comes – with 20 roops extra charge! I ask why?
– Tax, 20% the waiter tells us.
– But it says inclusive of all taxes on the menu, and before he answers I say
– Ahh skin tax, sorry I keep forgetting I don’t have a tan.
The embarrassed waiter has to go back to the cash desk where the money man changes the bill to 100 roops. The cash guy looks away when I ask him about the skin tax on the way out.
This is India.